KRIOPIGI KASSANDRA HALKIDIKI
Kriopigi is located on the peninsula of Kassandra at a distance of 90 km from Thessaloniki. It is built amphitheatrically on the hillside of a pine-covered hill with a wonderful view of the bay of Kassandra (Toroneos). The area has been inhabited since ancient times and today's Kriopigi is located between the ancient cities of Neapoli and Flegra.
The old village name until the 20th century was Pazarakia. It was a small settlement of ten to fifteen houses. And from this small society came four captains who starred in the revolution of 1821. Captain-Anastasios Chymeftos, Captain-Manolas, Captain-Kritos and the first witness of the fight, Kapetan-Chapsas (Stamos Kapsas). Stamos Kapsas was born in Pazarakia (Kriopigi) of Halkidiki in the late 18th century. He lived in Sykia, Sithonia, in a young age, looking for a job. Soon he broke up with the local Turkish rulers and started thieving action. It was so acclaimed in the villages of Sithonia, Cholomontas and Chasikochoria (Polygyros area). Rigas Georgiou was also an important fighter.
The current grandparents of the village, not very far off descendants of these fighters, believe that the old name of Pazarakia is due to the fact that the Othomans were banishing the sale of the captive women and children.
In 1953, the Ministry of the Interior sent a circular through the Prefecture of Halkidiki and asked the local authorities that their villages had foreign names to propose new and Greek ones. The then communal council convened and proposed the names: Chrisopigi, Kryoneri, Pefkohori. At the last minute, the President of the Community Angelos Sousouras added Kriopigi. And finally the Ministry approved this name. Since then, the village is called Kriopigi (20/9/1955).
And even today there is this natural spring with cold water. It is the communal fountain of the village built in 1937.
The excellent climate, the combination of verdant mountains and crystal clear sea (honored with many blue flags) along with the high level of hospitality services, make Kriopigi the most remarkable resort in the region. The hotel units with more than one thousand rooms, as well as the organized camping site of EOT and the three hundred furnished apartments and rooms of the area offer a comfortable and pleasant stay and the possibility of various activities (water sports, excursions, tennis, horseback riding, etc.).
Also in Kriopigi is the Pedagogical Center for Research and Training, which is sponsored by Dr. Dr. Erhart and Sofia Ziegler. This center is a meeting point throughout the year for educators all over the world who come here to work together and attend the seminars and conferences they organize.
The visitor can enjoy the high-quality natural products of the area such as honey, fruits, wine, olives and olive oil at the place of their production and visit the fountain, from which the village was named, which has existed for decades.
In the area there are all the necessary services, restaurants, taverns, supermarkets, fish taverns, secular clubs, bars, folk art shops, etc. that promise you a heavenly holiday.